Waiting To Cool

As I sit here typing this up, I’m engaging in rite that most people would not find unusual. I’m waiting. I’m waiting for the moment. I’m waiting for that moment when my joy can be fulfilled and whatever it is that is too hot for me, becomes cool enough to consume.

The cooling ritual is a process that hot food eaters have had to endure for generations. It is a specific rite of passage that many go through every morning and some more than once a day. It requires patience to sit there and listen to your insides call out to whatever it is that is overheated.

“I really want to, but I cannot consume you yet.”

“But I’m here! And I’m piping hot and ready for you.”

“I will not be tricked again! No, I will wait.”

A hot cup of coffee yearns to be gulped by some innocent schmuck who believes in comment decency and has no understanding of what one hundred and ninety degree liquid feels like going down. As everyone knows who has taken that larger than necessary initial sip, it burns like the dickens! Burning hot liquid, even a normal sip has done it’s duty. It's burned your tongue. By doing that it has succeeded in turning your four dollar mocha into a cup of motor oil in a trendy paper cup with an inspirational saying on the side.

Additionally all throughout the day it now speaks to you.

At the office you should have waited.
In line at the video store, you should have waited.
Smelling you lunch, you should have waited.

"Leave me alone! I get it okay?!"

A constant reminder that holds on for hours, of a mistake that will render the rest of your day into the same raw feeling that your tongue now endures.

Waiting is not exclusive to liquids. Order anything with cheese at an eatery and you will find yourself counting ceiling tiles or forking at your kale as you wait for the bubbling to cease. You might fill your time watching your friends polish off their salads or chips, as you haven't even started on your meal. This is a test of patience like no other. In the end it is worth all the patience you can muster. For time stands still when hot cheese touches tender flesh. All the blowing, weeping and ice water in the world will not make the slightest impact.

For those who do not order the overly hot meal, don't feel left out. The hot plate is a device used to bring everyone into the waiting experience. In a way the hot plate is even worse than burning food. The thing is that the plate so hot that even once the food has cooled to eating temperature, the plate is still too hot to touch. So what choice do you have? Wait for the plate to cool enough to touch and have a cold meal, or try and eat your food without burning your appendages? A friend with a hot plate. This is the only real dinner theater.

In the end though it seems that the cooling ritual is one we cannot forgo. While it might be fun to sip your coffee or consume your cheese enchilada that is perfectly seasoned, without hesitation, you might be surprised how much less you anticipate it. Anticipation can be the best seasoning of all. So just sit back, relax and wait for it to cool.

6 comments:

J Crew said...

Words to live by. There is nothing worse than a hot chocolate burn or the infamous hot pocket burn. You won't taste again for days

Peter Brown said...

Agreed. The hotpocket cheese seems designed to cling to your mouth. For the long three to four second burn!

Anonymous said...

You know what else is surprising hot, Pop Tarts! They smell so good coming out of that toaster, but DON'T DO IT, you can't even pick them up right away.

So, I have a blog, did it over the weekend, don't have a clue about how to do this. I used wordpress, and can't seem to get my picture to show up, they call it an AVATAR? Also, I guess I have to resize my pictures before I download them? If you have any tips, let me know, take a look, tell me what you think.

Anonymous said...

See, it didn't even show up on this comment, maybe I need to sign with Melissa instead...

Anonymous said...

Nope that didn't work,

desertdwellers.wordpress.com

Peter Brown said...

LOL!!!

Okay newbie... here's the deal. Your picture won't show up when commenting on blogger, 'cuz you're using Wordpress.

Just paste your website into the "Your web page" section for folks to follow.

It's great that you've bit the bullet! I'll add you to the link here and on the girls site!