Good Day

Sometimes a good day is hard to define. It seems that while I would consider most days to have hardships, some days have more than others. Hardships come in all sizes and shapes. There are days when we feel we cannot cope with those troubles and the best thing to do is wallow in our own self pity. I started off the day in the dregs over something I didn't think anyone else could understand, or would care to.

As I sit here and stare at the devotional on my desk, I rifle through its neglected pages. I know that God has told us in Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

Despair is a temptation. So is stagnation or believing that we don't have anyone to rely on. It steals our joy and tells us there is no way to be free of it. In my heart I don't believe what despair says and know that God's grace and strength are sufficient for any troubles that we must endure. James 1:2-4 tells "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Mostly I hear this message and shut it out. It is hard to submit to that idea, because it isn't in the least pleasant and it feels better to dwell on my troubles. By doing this we are limiting the truths of God. He is here, He loves us and He has given us all we need to get through these times.

I'm not over these feelings but I will not allow them to overtake me. I trust in the God who saved my soul and I believe that He is all powerful over my life. We have been instructed that, while today might be a very hard day to get through, Gods love and mercy haven't changed. He is working daily in my life and He has a plan for me. Whatever that plan may be, I don't know but I will try not to despair over the valleys in my life. I am a child called by God, which in the end makes today a very good day.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great thoughts and you are right - God's grace is sufficient! All we need! I have to remind myself of this often. Only in him will real joy be present regardless of the circumstance.

Praying you have a great rest of the week!

J Crew said...

All I can say to that is Amen. Preach it brother(in law)

Ando said...

Ice Cube was right all along...

"I must say, today was a good day."

Good words Kludge.

Boston Love said...

That was a beautiful post and very approriate for today. I find it comforting to know that other people don't have perfect lives either. Hoping that your personal storm will pass quickly...

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers as always with you but especially for feeling better soon...

As Annie always says, the sun'll come out tomorrow....

jenylu said...

Great post -- humbly honest yet challenging. Thank you!