Too Old To Wii

My lovely bride married a geek nearly 13 years ago, and thus was entered into a world she understood very little about. In the passing years she has done a great job of adapting to this strange environment. She now is a full fledged closet trekker, has seen every episode of Stargate SG1 and liked it. She has even read countless sci and fantasy books (and a select 7 novels more than a couple times through...) Additionally she has wiped the floor with me on more than a few RTS matches. In short, my wife rocks!

In Christmas in 2009 I was blown away to receive a new Wii. We had idly talked about one for a while but as a PC gamer I hadn't given it much more than a passing fancy. I figured if I had a spare $200 bucks and the desire to fight off a couple hundred soccer moms I might pick one up. Otherwise I would just miss out on this latest gaming craze. So imagine my surprise when lo an behold under the tree, was a shiny new Wii from the aforementioned rockin' wife. There was much excitement in the room at the prospect of the body wiggling game console and the fun we would soon enjoy.

We played the sports games, had friends over and generally humiliated ourselves in the name of fun. We then bought a bunch of other games and soon had a decent collection. For a while I thought more about playing games in the living room than in the office. But it was a fleeting romance of only a month or so. The Wii requires something that I've found I don't have that much of. Exuberance.

I'm a lazy bastard and the last thing I want to do while having "fun gaming" is jump around like a ninny waving my arms and pointing this wand and Ikea tool handle at my TV. Sure it's fun for a few minutes, but after that the joy is gone and I just want to sit on my fat behind and shoot things in the face.

Ever played a role playing game on a Wii? Who wants to engage in long conversations or immersive storylines while standing up six feet from the TV? I know I can sit down, but then why wouldn't I just sit down in front of my PC and get better graphics, faster load times and a place to rest my lazy wrist and cup of Dew?

As far as I can tell I'm just too old for the Wii. I've tried to renew the love, by picking up games I thought were better suited for it. I tried the Marvel Alliance series, Raving Rabbits and party games. I just can't seem to care. So now what.

I have officially become my father. I am now an old man that cannot adapt to the new fads. Worse is that I'm not even interested in trying. Shrug. Soon I'll start pining for the, "good ol days" dressed in a pair of ratty coveralls. I'll sit on my front step and yell at the kids walking by, "Stupid Wii. Back in my day the joysticks where unresponsive, the buttons were stiff and if you moved the controller around while playing your friends made fun of you!"

1 comment:

Mr. M said...

Yes, the Wii is definitely a "Once a week" thing, max. The last time I just played it for the heck of it was after being out for about a week for surgery and having read two novels. But I think other issues were compelling me, like the fact that I was going crazy from sitting in the same spot for days on end.

But the Wii has afforded me some fun every few weekends. It comes right after the pizza and newest movie release.

(On a side note, Youtube quality on the Wii is horrendous.)