Filling The Gap

Here I sit on a foreign PC looking to fill a gap of time and waste approx 28 minutes and 30 seconds. As I think about it, this is a task for which I am singularly blessed. Who else can burn up spare time like me? So... lets recall what brings us to this lonely desk with neatly places pencil sharpeners, a box of Triscuits and the warm hum of 25 odd computers...

Today I was sent out into the wilds of the unknown network topology. I was dispatched to solve a problem of my own creation. I, the network engineer damaged my child and without warning, and sent it's nodes into the playground of oblivion. This is not a good way to start off Monday.

"What happened?"
"The Sr. Network Engineer arrived and everything stopped working."

I'd like to pretend that it didn't go down that way but I would only be fooling myself. I'll leave that trait to the users, thank you very much. No, I was at fault. I was... um... tinkering? Adjusting? Tweaking? No, I was 'fine tuning' the network. That sounds good. Not quite as blundering as tweaking or tinker and less precise than adjusting. Truth was, I was removing the superfluous bits of spleen when I accidentally nicked the liver. Sorry for the medical analogy, I've been watching back seasons of House MD.

Anyhoo... The liver. It doesn't take kindly to being nicked. In fact it tends to bleed and do whatever else nicked livers do. Regardless, data access seems disrupted when it passed through the annals of this iron rich organ. People don't like data disruptions, or liver blood on their network packets.

So here I am, with 14 minutes left to fill, waiting for the users to leave the severely kludged network so I can patch the switch, er liver.

Sigh. Seriously the medical analogy is getting hard to maintain. Lets try again...

I play around with switch
I kill user access on network
I go home
Someone else fix network with duct tape on Friday
I come in Monday to fix duct tape and my stupid mistake

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Shrug. Oh look, only 5 minutes left. Here comes Dr. Geek with his data scalpel!

4 comments:

Jason Michael Shuttlesworth said...

I don't know if this has much, if anything, to do with this post, but there are four ads associated with phlegm-removal agents at the bottom of this blog.

Peter Brown said...

The wife and I in unison to your post.

"Ewww!"

Can't imagine there are many through clicks on that!

Mr. M said...

Wait, you wrote this on company time?!

"All your blog are belong to company!"

Sarah Kuhner said...

Glad you were able to fill your time constructively. Some what constructively.