Sunburn

Well, I've done it again. I've gone and gotten sunburn. I was up on a roof installing a wireless bridge for one of my sites, and didn't even consider the sun. I came home and realized how hot I was. I have this habit of believing that I tan, because I used to. When I was a kid growing up in Santa Monica I was brown all summer. Being part French I do tan well, but not a flash tan, not see thru white to brown. Its a funny thing about perception. I will still tell people, if they ask, that I tan and not that I've burned myself to a crispy red slice of bacon these last two times.

I have to say it's not as bad as the last time. The last sunburn I had was at a Giants game in the bleachers. Now mind you, I HAD suntan lotion, but I didn't want to put it on because I didn't want to look like a greasy fool. So I sat in the bleachers for 9 innings and endured the drunk, cat calling, yelling, garlic breathed, unwashed, over important fans, and general joy that is the bleachers. I learned from one stammering drunk with an inverted baseball cap, that 25% of the games are won by the fans. (I've been waiting for that question to pop up in a Trival Pursuit game) The Giants were schooled but the Cubs, and I was schooled by the sun on what a fool really looked like.

I didn't notice it till we were all in the car driving home and I was shouting bleacher calls to the pedestrians on the San Francisco sidewalk. I turned to one of my fellow passengers and told him that my lips felt chapped. I was informed that my face was chapped. It took two weeks before I finally pulled a lizard and was back to pasty geek white. I felt like this melting ice cream cone. What a day! This was also the day I tried to jump on my car as it flew down Old Redwood Hwy... but that's a totaly different story and I've sworn a vow of silence.

(Do you like the ice cream cone man? Fabricated from one melting McCone, one plastic bendy straw, one flosting flower holder, and 10 minutes of boredom.)

3 comments:

Ando said...

That was a day to remember. That guy was the greatest heckler of all-time. I think he even heckled himself. Great post Lobster Face!

J Crew said...

That was a day that will be permanently etched in my memory. Seeing you run down a busy street and almost catch up to your SUV was histerical. I feel like we all bonded and have grown closer together as a result of that experience and... trust me on the sunscreen

Peter Brown said...

42 is the answer you seek. Bask in my knowledge